- Update the utilities so they’re now in your name. Gas, Water, Internet/Cable, Trash/Recycling, Electric.
- Change your locks. If you have a home warranty, check to see if this is included (it might be!)
- If your home uses a furnace, set up an appointment to service it. This should be done yearly. Also don’t forget to swap out the furnace filter. Also consider setting up an appointment to have the ducts cleaned by a professional, especially if you have allergies.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Adjust the water heater to the temperature you prefer.
- Use your inspection report to be a maintenance to do list. Start with the stuff that is most time sensitive and work from there.
- Keep your loan and closing documents somewhere very safe. Make copies and keep them digitally as well.
- Do a change of address form at the post office and notify your bank, auto insurance, credit cards, health insurance, doctor’s offices, employer, subscriptions, catalogs, amazon, etc of your new address.
- Update your Drivers License or State ID.
- Update your voter registration address if eligible to vote.
- Clean your gutters often! This is super important here in this climate.
- If you have kids in school, and they’re changing schools, contact the new school to get them transferred.
- Introduce yourself to your neighbors (if you want).
- If you have a fireplace, get a chimney expert out to make sure it’s inspected, serviced and cleaned properly before use.
- Locate the water main shutoff. If you have a broken pipe and a bad leak you want to be able to turn this off quickly so know where it is.
- Register for Opt out prescreen to reduce junk mail (do both the digital and the paper mail).
- You will get lots of spam about your loan that look like late notices or loan insurance or whatever. Ignore them! Your mortgage info is public knowledge so scammers look this up.
Did I miss anything on this list? Let me know and I’ll add it!